Arrowhead Stadium Parking – December 26, 2010
The Kansas City Chiefs haven’t won a playoff game in 17 years, so naturally I’d like to be at the game tomorrow against the Ravens. But I have to be at a customer site on Monday morning.
Now I know what you’re thinking – just stay sober and drive home after the game. And that is what makes you a cute kid.
To make matters worse, Dani-girl and Maribeth are going to the game, and tailgating with Lil’ Bro.
Worlds are colliding again.
Dani-girl is from Baltimore and a Ravens fan. She and Lil’ Bro have been communicating via text and email. Below is one of her emails. His replies appear in red.
Sent: Friday, January 07, 2011 9:02 AM
To: Lil’ Bro
Subject: Re: Chiefs Parking & Tailgating
Hey Lil’ Bro-
Thanks for all your help so far…I suppose I dont strongly dislike ALL chief fans lol. I am so excited for the game because a)the f-ing ravens are on fire and b) I have never been to Arrowhead stadium before….and I hear its a real treat. lol
Right now (driving from STL) will be me, maribeth and then my brother is flying directly into KC for the game (based on his arrival time and where we are we will see how to get him to the stadium). We are planning to leave by 5:30am…but I hope sooner than that 🙂 🙂
I know Maribeth and I would love to hang out for a little bit and have a beer, torture Benny with calls and pictures since he is not coming lol. Upon arrival I will be in touch with you since you will be arriving much before we are (in lot L)….
I do have some random questions (sorry to be such a pain in the ass lol…I just want to make sure I know what to expect and all)…
okay here goes….
1. Does it cost to park in the lot at the stadium? If yes, how much, If no, can anyone park there? Do you need to pre-order a permit? If we cannot park at the stadium- where else would we be able to park and shuttle in? Parking is $22. Since you’ll be arriving later, the upper lots will be hard to get into so I would suggest you enter through Gate 3 and park in Lot L. This will also guarantee you have a beer with me.
2. What is permitted to be brought into the tailgate? I assume anything but glass? Actually bring any alcohol you want to tailgate. Glass is fine.
3. What is permitted to be brought into the stadium? I know at Busch…we are permitted “unopened” bottles (plastic obviously) and cans and unopened food. Is this the case at Arrowhead? (If yes I would prefer to bring some minis to have some shots to stay warm…is there a full bar or just beer served?) You can’t bring anything (food & drink) into Arrowhead. They do a half-ass pat down so it’s pretty easy to sneak stuff in. I do it all the time and small airplane bottles are extremely easy. Just don’t put them in your purse or bag as they will check that more thoroughly.
4. Can we bring in a camera? Yes
5. I know the weather is pretty similar in KC as STL…so would you say to just wear a few layers, maybe a hat and gloves and like boots? (I know Arrowhead is a real stadium without a dome- as is the ravens lol). Tailgating is a little different than sitting on cold concrete. I would make sure you have good thermal boots, stocking hat (by Gucci I’m sure), good gloves and lots of layers. Definitely check the weather on Saturday night as they may be calling for some snow.
6. I heard that the visitor side is more in the “sun” is it worth it to try to sit on this side? I saw tickets in 307 on Stubhub for 37.50+4.95 download fees….this seemed like a good deal right? OR do you think we can get the price even lower on sunday? I dont want to pay more than 50 knowing that online i could get them for 50…but if you think people could be selling like 4 for 150 or something…obviously i would prefer to do it that way. It’s really a crap-shoot on who will be trying to sell tickets. I would hate for you to rely solely on a scalper and then it not pan out for ya. Yes, the Visitor side is in the sun but again, it may not matter since it’ll probably be cloudy that day.
7. Are you staying around after the game? if so…where do you think you will head out to? from what i recall there are not real bars right in the vicinity of the stadium…so we would have to go to the plaza or downtown? I doubt I’ll be hanging out. I have three kids at home plus Stacie’s 7 year old that we need to get back home for. There’s a Hooters in Independence, which is on your way home. We can use someone’s Smart Phone and use the Around Me app to check bars in the area.
8. I am not sure when we are heading back to STL..we are going to play it all by ear…my brother is flying out of STL monday am…so we just have to be at lambert by 9:15am…thats all i know….obviously if we can make it back to stl sunday night somehow fine, if not we’ll just wait until we can or get a hotel….i love spontaneity! I guess you can do stuff on a whim when you have no kids huh? Once mine are grown up and gone, life will be different.
OKAY…i think that is all for now- thanks again for your help- nothing like a word from the wise local….
OHHHH one more thing- my brother must eat BBQ while in KC (hes never been before)….so where do you recommend?? You may not have time for Oklahoma Joe’s (featured on Man vs. Food) , which is in Shawnee, KS. Jack Stack BBQ is awesome. Smokehouse BBQ in Zona Rosa is good. Any Gates BBQ chain restaurant is good. Gates is a staple in KC. Tell you what. Zona Rosa may be your best bet for BBQ and bars. It’s about 10 minutes south of the airport or a 20 minute drive from Arrowhead. To get there from Arrowhead follow these directions:
I-70 West (towards downtown KC) to I-29/I-35 North
I-29/I-35 North and then stay on I-29 North when it splits from I-35. I-29 N will go left and I-35 N will go right. Stay on I-29 N.
I-29 North to Barry Road. If you go left at the exit, Zona Rosa will be on your right after you go under the I-29 bridge. If you go right on Barry Road, there’s lots of restaurants (Hooter’s, Chili’s, Applebee’s, etc) Zona Rosa would be more fun.
Or if you want to hit the Power & Light district, there’s bars galore down there. This is next to the Sprint Center in downtown KC. It’s off of 13th Street. The P&L is a pretty cool place.
I’m exhausted. Go Chiefs.
Well it’s turn to face the stars and stripes
It’s fighting back them butterflies
It’s call it in the air, alright
Yes sir, we want the ball